February 21 – Romans 8:5  

Posted by Jan Ross

"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit." (Romans 8:5)

Separating the "flesh" from the "spirit" can be a difficult task when confronted with questions that we have along the path of life. But, God has instilled in us a unique way of knowing when we have wandered off the path of the Spirit!

That small, still voice within us will never fail to guide us in the midst of life's uncertainties. Our response to the "voice" will help us determine whether or not we walk after the flesh or after the Spirit. If we ignore the "voice" long enough, it will finally go away to bother us no longer, and we will have successfully quenched the Spirit! However, if we will seek the will of God in the circumstances we are "questioning," we will be found in the center of His will by walking after the Spirit, not after the flesh!

How many times have we encountered a situation that suddenly we feel a "check" in our spirit, or a hesitation about doing it, yet without regarding that warning, we go right ahead only to find out later we shouldn't have followed through with it? I can personally think of numerous times that my "hindsight" allowed me to know the exact moment when I made the wrong decision and wishing I had just listened to that small, still voice!

If we dare to be honest with ourselves, we have to admit that we ignore that voice all too often! We are quick to recognize a little child's struggle with simple obedience. However, as adults we find that we ourselves are still on that life-long journey learning to walk in obedience and total surrender to God's will.

Oh, that we would learn to be quick to respond to the sound of His voice!

In my pursuit to become more like You, Oh Lord, I long to follow after You rather than allow my flesh to rise up and lead me astray! Lord, I long to be obedient, to follow closely to that still, small voice that guides me day by day! Oh Father, help me be quick to respond to your voice and subdue my own desires that I may become a mere shadow in the light of Your glory! Amen!

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (John 10:27-28)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at Thursday, February 21, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment