March 12 – Romans 6:22  

Posted by Jan Ross

"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." (Romans 6:22)

Being a "servant" carries with it a negative impression . . . bondage, servitude, enslavement, burdens, etc., and by definition, that's exactly what a servant is. But the context of Today's Verse sheds a totally different light on the word "servant"! Actually, it is used in the context of a "gift".

This verse explains four "gifts" which are given to those who have new life in Christ:

YOU ARE FREE FROM SIN

YOU BECOME A SERVANT OF GOD

YOU ARE GIVEN FRUIT UNTO HOLINESS

YOU ARE GIVEN EVERLASTING LIFE

These are all benefits . . . including being a servant!

Mankind is designed to be a servant . . . either to sin or to righteousness. There are no "in-betweens" . . . there is no other way! We either serve God or we serve sin.

The choice is ours as it was in Joshua's day . . . "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve". Choose God and you choose LIFE! Being a "servant" then becomes a benefit rather than a burden!

What is your choice?

Father, it is my choice to serve YOU above all else . . . not only for the "benefits" but just because I love YOU! You have put in me a servant's heart which makes me glad to serve YOU! I don't count it a burden to serve you, as I am bonded together with YOU through Jesus Christ my Lord and Saviour! Thank you for freeing me from sin, allowing me to be your servant, gifting me with fruits of holiness, and giving me everlasting life! Lord, for all this I cannot begin to thank you enough! Your blessings are without measure! Amen!

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods . . ." (Joshua 24:15-16)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at Tuesday, March 11, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment