April 8 – 1 John 2:15  

Posted by Jan Ross

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." (1 John 2:15)

Is there anything that distracts us more than material things or cares of this life? Or, perhaps we have things in our lives that have consumed us and direct every thought, word, and/or deed!

For a long time when I would read about the children of Israel molding a golden calf to worship while Moses was on the Mountain surrounded in the cloud of God's glory, I got so mad! I would think, "How on earth could these people be so ignorant?" One day my eyes opened and I saw many idols in my own life which I had created with my own lusts and desires! For so long I never realized that some of the material things in my life had become an idol! I never recognized that my worries, fears, and cares of this world were at enmity with my God! These things can so easily become idols wherein we turn our affection and our attention solely on them and lose sight of the love of the Father!

Steve Green recorded a song that so aptly explains this verse and puts into context of our everyday lives . . . the name of the song, "I Repent":

I regret the hours I have wasted
And the pleasures I have tasted
That You were never in!
And I confess that though Your love is in me
It doesn't always win me
When competing with my sin!

And I repent, making no excuses!
I repent, no one else to blame!
And I return to fall in love with Jesus;
I bow down on my knees
And I repent!

I lament the idols I've accepted
The commandments I've rejected
To pursue my selfish end!
And I confess I need You to revive me,
Put selfishness behind me,
And take up my cross again!

And I repent, making no excuses!
I repent, no one else to blame!
And I return to fall in love with Jesus;
I bow down on my knees
And I repent!

"I Repent" . . . each one of us could repeat those words and they would apply to our individual lives. This is exactly what our verse today is about . . . "Love not the world neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

Where do you stand today . . . where do I stand today? Are we struggling with our love relationship with the Father? Perhaps we need to prayerfully reread the words above and make no excuses, but bow down on our knees and with a heart engulfed in Godly sorrow, simply repent! Amen!

Father, as I read through the words to that song and reflect on my life and how its emphasis seems to be on things temporal rather than spiritual, I indeed repent for the time that I've wasted among things other than those which bring glory to You. I pray that you will help me be a better steward of my time, my energy, my creativity, my thoughts, my talents, etc., so that You alone will be glorified through my life! I lose sight of this from time to time, Lord, but you alone know that I love you and desire to serve you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Amen!

"Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." (1 Cor 3:12-15)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Monday, April 7, 2008 at Monday, April 07, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment