July 29 – Romans 9:15  

Posted by Jan Ross

"For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." (Romans 9:15)

God is a sovereign God . . . hard for us to comprehend, but it's true! His plans for each of us are very unique . . . the lives we live are very individual. God has set His holy, righteous plan into motion with purpose and determination in order to accomplish His final goal . . . to provide a pure and spotless Bride for His Son, Jesus Christ.

It is easy to be "jealous" over someone who has had an easier life than you . . . it happens all the time! The question often runs through your head—not one of us is exempt.

When I was less than two years old, my mother gave me up for adoption. I was adopted by a wonderful, loving family who saw to my every need through life . . . they protected me, loved me, provided a stable family for me to grow up in . . . not perfect, but good! Many years passed, I married and had my own family. One day I came home and found that my birthmother had sent me a letter sharing her love for me after all these years! A series of events occurred until the day arrived that I met her face to face. What a marvelous gift from God . . . meeting the woman who had given me physical life yet enjoying the love and support from the parents who invested their lives into me!

One thing I was not prepared for, however, was the reaction of my half-sisters who had been raised by my birthmother. They were JEALOUS . . . I had been given to a family who could lavish their love and affection upon me in a protected, stable environment. On the other hand, however, they were raised in a very different set of circumstances . . . a very unhealthy lifestyle, having been the victims of physical, emotional and sexual abuse. Although they said they were glad for me, their question was, "WHY?" Why was I "spared" the hurt? Why was I singled out? Why was my life allowed to be "good" and theirs "bad"? Hard questions, at best . . . questions for which there were no good answers!

God's sovereignty is the only answer that can explain situations like this. "TRUST" is the door to finding peace with God's sovereignty. I had to trust that God knew what was right for my life . . . my sisters have had to learn to trust that God was working in a unique way in their lives as well . . . ultimately to draw us all to Him.

Are you struggling with difficult "Why's" in your life . . . contemplating those questions for which you can find no answers? Assign those problems to God's sovereignty and trust Him that He knows what He is doing in EVERYONE's situation. Know this of a certainty that our lives are indeed "according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will" (Ephesians 1:11b).

Praise God for all He has done in our lives . . . that will ultimately bring Him the glory and honor that is due His Holy Name!

Father, how can I say thanks for all you have done for me, in me, and through me? Lord, many times I get all wrapped up in the "why's" of life, those things that are too difficult for me to understand. Lord, forgive me for not trusting Your sovereign will. Father, help me to remember that I don't have to "understand" everything that has happened to me or my loved ones, but only understand that "...all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28) Your sovereignty, O Lord, is far beyond my comprehension, help me remember that You have my life in the palm of Your very capable hand. Amen!

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever." (Psalm 136:1)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 at Monday, July 28, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment