August 19 – Isaiah 40:31  

Posted by Jan Ross

"But they that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk, and not faint."   (Isaiah 40:31)

There is a reason for everything including waiting. Here is a modern-day "parable." I believe it will bless you and teach you about today's verse!

Sitting at the drive-through window at a fast food restaurant a while back, I did the usual thing . . . I drove up to the speaker at the menu and ordered. I proceeded to the first window and paid, then drove to the second window and waited for my order. After sitting there for a few minutes, the clerk slid back the window and said, "Will you please pull over to the side; your order is not ready."

I was a little upset, but I pulled over and waited. I thought, "Why do other folks order and drive straight through yet I have to wait." I waited for another two or three minutes. It seemed like hours before the clerk finally ran out, tapped on the window, and handed me the order.

Of course I asked her what took so long. She replied, "You wanted the 'special sauce' which meant it had to be especially made for that sandwich, it doesn't usually come with that one.

This scene is a reflection of our prayer life. We make our requests known to the Lord. Our menu is His Word where He has given us His promises, explained the cost (the conditions we must meet to receive the promises), and He assures us that He will give us the desires of our heart. But if God doesn't answer immediately or within our predetermined timeframe, we become impatient.

"Lord, I prayed yesterday, and You still haven't answered. I can't wait much longer. Why is it taking You so long?"

Others around us are seeing their prayers answered – God is moving in their lives. Yet, it appears that we've been overlooked or neglected. Then just when you think things are about to work out and your prayer has been answered, He pulls back the royal curtain of eternity, and states, "Please pull over to the side and wait a while longer – I'm not finished yet!"

This particular day, it frustrated me to no end until the clerk brought out my sandwich. Then, the revelation became clear. Suddenly, in the quietness of my heart, the questions were never-ending: Do you know why the Lord has put you on the side? Do you know why you have had to wait for this blessing? Do you know why He has put you through more this time than ever before? Do you know why it seems as though He has not heard you and He does not care? Do you know why it seems like you have had to go through more tears, more pains, and more struggling this time?

Then, the small still voice: "Because the answer is custom made for you and since you made a request, and He only gives good and perfect things, it will come in His time and not yours. Custom-made answers from God take time because they are prepared in a way that is perfect for us."

Maybe the "parable" isn't perfect, but I believe God's message to us is perfect. How many people have driven away before the clerk brought their food, and how many people have missed their blessings because they did not wait? Have patience. Keep on waiting. You made a request, now wait on God's answer – He knows the need and He has the answer!

"But they that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31) They who wait shall receive an answer!

Father, forgive me for my impatience! So often I ask things of you and, because of my anxiousness, I become frustrated and begin to doubt. As simple as this parable was, Lord, it showed me where my lack of trust in You has often cost me a special blessing from You. Forgive me, Lord, and help me to remember that all things are done in Your time, that you see the bigger picture and know what I need when I need it. Help me remember that Your ways are higher than mine and that Your love for me never fails. Lord, I want to trust You more, I want to love You more, I want more of You! Amen!

"Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD." (Psalm 27:17)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 at Monday, August 18, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment