April 13 – Isaiah 49:16  

Posted by Jan Ross

"Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me." (Isaiah 49:16)

It doesn't matter how long you have been serving the Lord, it is quite likely that you have gone through a period of time were you have felt like you are facing the impossible. The feelings and emotions of being alone and far from God seem to overwhelm us during these seasons. You are not unique if you have struggled with these feelings from time to time; you are not alone in these struggles you are facing right now.

Oh, how blessed is the Lord! He never fails to give us something to cling to in the time of despair.

The palm is one of the tenderest places on the body being the very innermost part of the hand. The word "engrave" actually means in the Hebrew to cut or to trace – "I have cut you into my hand, I have traced you into my hand." The picture actually is like holding something so tightly in your hand that it finally makes its mark there.

For instance, if you held an object tightly in your hand long enough, an image or tracing of that object would remain in your palm when you open your hand. But the Hebrew word used in this verse for "engrave" talks about cutting or tracing, taking the impression left by holding something tightly to another level. Not only are we imprinted in His hand, our image is permanently cut in the palm of His hand where He holds us ever so securely yet tenderly, giving us protection, comfort, and rest.

Close your eyes for a moment and imagine yourself wrapped tightly and hidden securely, tucked away the palm of the unfailing hand of God. No enemy can find you; you are hidden as in a cleft of a rock. The hand of God is more than enough to keep you in your time of distress. And, as a reminder to Him of His great love for you, your image is permanently engraved in the palm of His hand.

The next time you feel like you are all alone facing a battle too hard for you, a mountain too hard to climb, the valley too deep to go through, remember that you are engraved in the palm of His hand as a result of being held tightly and tucked away safely in the cleft of the Rock. He will never leave you nor forsake you; neither will He forget that you are His child, the object of His affection, the one whom He loves.

How can I ever thank You for such great love that I have found tucked away securely in the palm of Your hand? Help me to never forget that I am never alone and that you are never far from me. What a comforting reminder You have given me today that Your love encompasses me and keeps me safe in the midst of the storm. There are truly no words that are adequate to convey the thankfulness and praise I feel in my heart toward You. You are awesome, oh Lord, and I love You with all my heart! In Jesus name, amen!

"Then the LORD said, "There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by." (Exodus 33:21-22)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 at Sunday, April 12, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment