May 18 – Romans 14:10  

Posted by Jan Ross

"But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ." (Romans 14:10)

As humans, it is so easy for us to get caught up in everyone else's wrongdoings and neglect to see our own errors. We all struggle with this problem to one degree or another—it is doubtful that any of us are exempt.

A familiar Sunday School song gives us cause to stop and consider: "Be careful little hands what you do . . . be careful little hands what you do. For the Father up above is looking down in love, so be careful little hands what you do!"

Oh, if we, as adults, would only take a few minutes to meditate on this simple truth. Take care for what we do, pay attention to our own faults and stop being so quick to judge others. Be careful . . . what we do.

How many times have we been misjudged or our actions misinterpreted? Once, twice, a few times, or many times? It is easy to assume we've been the wronged more than once in our lifetimes. But the question we need to ask ourselves is this…How many times have we misjudged someone else or misinterpreted someone's actions?

Take a few moments right now and allow the Holy Spirit to bring these times to your remembrance and ask the Father's forgiveness for more carefully tending to other's faults while your own have gone unchecked. You may be led to right the wrong by going to one or more people who were hurt by your misjudgment of them; if so, don't hesitate. The greatest restoration comes with confession, repentance, and forgiveness.

There's no better way to still the work of the avenger in our lives than by setting things in order. Then from that point on, we need to "be careful . . . what WE do" and allow the Father to take care of what others do. If we take care of ourselves properly, we'll more than have our hands full and we won't be so quick to criticize others.

Father, I have wrongfully misjudged so many people and at the same time I have neglected to see wrong in my own life. Lord, forgive me; I truly mean it—I need Your forgiveness. Father, show me those who have been hurt by my quick and misjudgment of them; show me if You would have me go to them to restore the relationship. Father, I long to release others from my judgment and, at the same time, I pray that You will help me to change my ways. Father, I thank You for Your love which covers the multitude of sin; I thank You for looking at me through Your eyes of love and restoring me to full fellowship with You as I learn to "be careful . . . what I do." In Jesus' precious name, amen.

"Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again." (Luke 6:37-38)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at Sunday, May 17, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment