May 25 – Hebrews 11:13  

Posted by Jan Ross

"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth." (Hebrews 11:13)

Faith is a strange thing. It carries us through rough times, allows us to build hope on nothing but a promise, gives substance to the things for which we are believing God, and provides an avenue for total trust in God in areas that we may otherwise be weak. Faith is a small word with a big meaning.

The eleventh chapter of Hebrews has been called the "Faith Hall of Fame" by Bible scholars simply because it is written testimony of the patriarchs and their unwavering faith in the God whom we love and serve. Many of our forefathers believed God for things He had promised to them, yet some of them died not having received the promise. But, they never stopped believing. As a matter of fact, they believed that God would perform that which He had promised if even after their death. Just because they were no longer living didn't mean that God would or could not perform His Word.

Such faith. Such trust. Such persuasion!

God has made many promises to us in His Word. Our goal is to be able to embrace those promises and be persuaded that He will perform His word regardless of whether or not we see the manifestation with our own eyes.

There used to be a popular bumper sticker that said, "God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It!"

Well, to tell you the truth, if God said it, that settles it. His words are "Yes" and "Amen." There is no variableness or turning with Him. He is committed to perform His Word.

Praise God today that no matter the circumstances in your life, God will perform His Word. "He's faithful to perform that which He had promised." And, if we die in faith, not having received the promise but have seen them afar off and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, the day will come when it shall be done.

Abraham did; let him be our example.

Father, I confess that sometimes it's so hard to see—to envision the things that You have promised in Your Word. I know You said that You are my defense, but when the attacks come from every direction I struggle to not be afraid! I know You said that You would provide for me, but when the bills are piling up, I often wonder where You are. I know that you said that I and my household would be saved, but when my children are rebelling, my faith in your absolute ability to save tends to waver. Lord, help me to keep my eyes fixed on You; help me to believe Your Word above all else…help thou my unbelief. Amen!

"They that trust in the LORD shall be as mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth for ever. As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the LORD is round about his people from henceforth even for ever." (Psalm 125:1-2)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 at Sunday, May 24, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment