November 23 – Matthew 28:19-20  

Posted by Jan Ross

My heart is full—overwhelmed would be a more accurate word. There is little hope I will ever be able to articulate every detail, let alone absorb everything I've heard and witnessed these past two weeks to my own personal satisfaction. But nonetheless, I want to attempt to share a few thoughts with you which have been weighing heavily on my heart.

As an American Christian, I have learned that in contrast to Christians around the world, especially in gospel-hostile nations, we have lost sight of the real reason we have been redeemed and adopted into the family of God. Throughout the years, so many of us have allowed a false gospel to become the only "truth" we know and share with others. All too many of us have turned the Gospel of Jesus Christ inward, concentrating on "us" rather than on what our Messiah left as His most important commission to us:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28:19-20 KJV)

Instead, however, we have turned Christianity into a "me-centered" gospel by focusing inwardly…how can I grow, how can I prosper, how can I be healed, how can I build my church or ministry, how can I fulfill God's purpose in me, etc. And while none of these questions are wrong in the right context, we have allowed the "me-centered" gospel to disassociate ourselves from the most important responsibility we have as believers … go, make disciples, baptize, and teach them to obey.

If our relationship with God is more about building "us" up rather than fulfilling His commission to us to build the kingdom, we have fallen into the trap of the enemy to hinder and eventually stop the growth of the Kingdom of God.

What are you doing relative to the Great Commission? Do you mourn for lost souls? Do you grieve for those who are blinded and deafened by this world? Is your life's motivation more inward-focused or more outward-focused? Are you making disciples?

There is a lost and dying world out there. Shame on us if we neglect such a field ready for harvest while we are distracted with a "me-centered" gospel.

Turn your focus outward … look around you and see the needs everywhere. Then, allow the Holy Spirit to stir within your heart with boldness to fulfill the Great Commission in your own sphere of influence.

Go! Make Disciples! Baptize! Teach them to obey … teach them to obey the Word of God and to fulfill the Great Commission by starting the cycle over again. Go! Make Disciples! Baptize! Teach them to obey …

Live a "Great Commission-Driven Life" to the Glory of God and the increase of His Kingdom.

Father, forgive me for being so inwardly-focused that I've lost sight of the reason You commissioned and equipped me as Your child. Help me to Go! Help me to Make Disciples! Help me to Baptize! And, help me to Teach Them to Obey! I want to live a Great Commission-Driven Life for Your glory and the increase of Your Kingdom so that all should come to the knowledge of the Truth. In Jesus' name, amen!

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 at Monday, November 23, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Anonymous  

False teaching of Roman Church noticeable in early 2nd century; heavily influenced by Paul-ine doctrine that Jesus have a rather 'special' Father as compared to the 'typical' Father mentioned by Prophet Isaiah and Prophet David.

~~
The Romans of 4th century introduced the ideology of baptizing in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

They added those words onto Matthew 28:19 and 1John 5:7. No Romans of 2nd century have quoted these verses before.

Infact, early Roman Church Fathers believed that there is only One Father the creator, creating all beings including God Son and Holy Spirit.

Clearly, they do not belief in Triune concept as the three entities were never equally exist in oneness.

16 August, 2013

Post a Comment