June 2 – 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18  

Posted by Jan Ross

If you want to know what the will of God for your life is, take a moment to read 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18; this verse outlines it perfectly. Prayer and thanksgiving are not only isolated words of petition and gratefulness to the Lord, they are a lifestyle; they are the will of God for your life.

"Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18)

This verse has always been one to raise the defense mechanism in the heart of the believer. How can I pray without ceasing? I have work to do and I have my family and other things to tend to!

But prayer is a lifestyle, being in constant communion with the Lord, aware of His presence, talking with Him, and loving Him moment by moment throughout the day and even through the night hours.

Much the same with thanksgiving. We are admonished to live a life of gratitude and praise to the Lord for His mercy and His goodness. So often in the morning the words don't come to pray for things, but to simply be amazed at God and His goodness and mercy. My heart pours out thanksgiving and praise for Who He is. What's on your mind first thing in the morning? Throughout the day? When you lay down and close your eyes at night? Praise and thanksgiving should be constant on our lips, amazement at our God should be in our hearts day and night. Surely we must never become complacent and unmoved by His goodness! Offering ourselves as a sacrifice holy and acceptable to Him certainly includes living a lifestyle of prayer and thanksgiving.

So, pray without ceasing, and in every thing, and at all times live a life of thanksgiving and praise. He is so worthy!

Father in heaven, although I set my petitions before You when I pray, Lord help me remember to keep my mind stayed on You, to commune with You day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment. May I never lose my amazement and gratefulness for all that You do and all who You are. What a priceless privilege I have found in living a life of thanksgiving to You, for You are worthy of my total praise. You are worthy of all the glory. You are worthy! Amen.

"Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man." (Luke 21:36)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 at Wednesday, June 02, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment