Yesterday’s Clothes Stink!  

Posted by Jan Ross

Many years ago I had a precious friend. She didn't have much in this life but several small children and a husband who believed it was more important for him to be everywhere else other than home. She struggled with daily routines yet she was so sweet. I determined in my heart to help her as much as I could since we didn't have any children at that time. I can easily remember going to her apartment and finding dishes several days old in the sink, children running around in soiled clothes, beds unmade, bathrooms needing scrubbed – in other words, the house needed a LOT of help. My friend loved the Lord, but she couldn't rise above her lack of daily disciplines to care for her family in a way that would be pleasing to Him. I spoke with her often about it, loving her through it all, but she had a difficult time making any change last. As awful as it sounds, I know of times she would take dirty clothes out of the laundry pile and put them on to go to the store or to church. Obviously, it was no secret to those around her that daily disciplines were an issue for her. I lost touch with her after we moved away and often wonder if things ever changed for her.

It does us no good to take a bath and wear yesterday's soiled clothes. We have to adorn ourselves DAILY with the garment of salvation as we work out our salvation with trembling and fear (ref. Philippians 2:12). A daily cleansing is necessary, inside and out. Perhaps it isn't the entire reason for my unusual friendship, but the Holy Spirit taught me a valuable lesson through it.

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation…" (Isaiah 61:10a)

"He hath clothed me with the garments of salvation"! There's no doubt that a great change comes over us when we're saved. Our most difficult task, however, is the change we must determine to work through with daily disciplines that help us grow in Christlikeness.

Look at Ephesians 4:24 ~ "And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Here's another verse in Colossians 3:10 ~ "And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him." The "Garment of Salvation" in Isaiah is speaking of putting on the "new man."

We can't wear yesterday's clothes – yesterday's clothes stink. Our Bridegoom is coming after a Bride whose garments are spotless and unwrinkled. He didn't just say "without wrinkle" else we could have just ironed out yesterday's soiled clothes. No! He said, "spotless and without wrinkle" – cleansed by the blood of the Pure and Spotless Lamb.

The garment of salvation . . . a daily dressing and a daily following. Don't let this priceless garment hang in your closet; prefer it over the robe of carnality and flesh. Let's separate ourselves from our soiled clothing of sin and carnality, and wear the garment of salvation and glorify our Father in heaven who purchased this precious garment for us with the highest price possible – the blood of His Beloved Son!

Father, I never realized how often I try to iron out yesterday's soiled clothing in an attempt to "appear" clean. Help me to daily put on afresh the Garment of Salvation as a Bride making herself ready for her Husband. Help me to walk worthy of the Garment of Salvation wherewith You have clothed me, for Your glory and Your pleasure. In Jesus' name, amen and amen.

"So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows." (Psalm 61:8)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 at Thursday, July 22, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment