Environmental Issues  

Posted by Jan Ross

Words are very powerful. They can build one up; they can tear one down. Words can produce life; they can deal a deadly blow. Words can edify, exhort, glorify, and praise. Carefully chosen words can alter an entire life, whereas careless words have the potential to destroy someone's life.

As a child, I can vividly remember certain things my parents said to me—words that either built me up and made me strong or those which tore me down and depleted my sense of self-worth. Their words echo in my heart to this day; at times I must deal with those words which were carelessly spoken. I'm certain my parents never meant to harm me just as our words are most likely never meant to harm those to whom we're speaking.

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

The Psalmist wants to use God's Word, the Law, the Testament, the Statutes of God as a standard by which his words are judged. And, that takes courage! But then he takes it a step further, a place where we dread to go. David allows God to judge the "meditation of [his] heart."

Most Christians say they are willing to submit their words to the leadership of the Holy Spirit; however, very few are dare to venture past that to the point where they will allow the Lord to judge the meditations of their heart. When your meditations become implanted within the heart's womb, they bear fruit.

Take a few moments and examine the fruit implanted in your heart. Is it sweet or is it bitter? Sweet fruit cannot grow in a bitter environment. In fact, a bitter heart will corrupt and eventually kill the good fruit it is producing.

Recently I read a quote worth passing along: "Bitterness is the poison that we drink thinking we are killing the other person." In other words, the bitterness produced in our hearts does nothing to the one toward whom we are bitter, but instead works as a poison to us. Allowing bitterness to grow in us is spiritual suicide and many times it affects our physical health leading to illness and even premature death.

What is hiding in your heart? Are you pleased to open the door of your heart and allow the Lord to judge your thoughts? Will both your words and your meditations be found acceptable in the sight of God?

Father, if the meditations of my heart are not pleasing to You, if the words of my mouth are displeasing, Lord, show me, forgive me, help me, cleanse me, and purify me so that I may speak of and think on those things which bring life, build up, edify, exhort, glorify and praise. Oh Lord, cleanse me and make my heart right before You for You alone are my heart's desire ... there is NONE like You! Amen!

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 at Tuesday, August 17, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment