February 12 – Ephesians 5:31  

Posted by Jan Ross

"For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." (Ephesians 5:31)

Today is our Wedding Anniversary! On February 12, 1972 we were united in marriage having entered into a covenant with one another and with God making a formal and public commitment to love, honor, and cherish each other in the good times and in the bad. And believe me, having raised six children has given us the opportunity to experience both the good times and bad! Praise God for His faithfulness through it all!

Since that memorable day our lives have been woven together time and time again to the extent that although we are uniquely individual, we are also uniquely one! It's a mystery how this happens. Paul said in Ephesians 5:32 that the mystery is akin to the relationship between Christ and the church. During the course of our marriage, we have taken on attributes and characteristics that belong to each other. We think alike, we act alike, we respond alike! We are very much alike and more so as time goes on!

I can remember as a young girl, there was a family two houses up the street from us. They were unusual just like our family—they had adopted children! Our mothers would occasionally get together for coffee while we played together. The families stayed close all through my childhood until I married and moved away. The mothers would often share their stories of people who didn't know that we were all adopted would comment on how much we looked like our mothers! I can remember them laughing to the point of tears at times; they would just get so tickled!

When I was about eight years old my mother took me to the dentist for a regular check-up. He had been the family dentist for many years and knew the family well . . . at least he thought he did! After my check-up, he turned to my mother and told her that he felt so sorry for me—my teeth were just like hers! He went on to explain how often he could tell immediately which parent passed down the genetic code for teeth, their shape, size, color, etc. Being the wise woman she was, she just let him talk. On the way back home, she laughed and laughed. The dentist never even knew that I was adopted! I was my mother's daughter and he could prove it by the characteristics he witnessed!

This is the same mystery with the church . . . the more we spend time with the Lord, the more closely we will resemble Him, being woven together as one, intertwined, and inseparable!

Take some time today and examine your life. Do you bear a family resemblance to your "Betrothed"? Is your life more like Christ than like your old nature? Can He be seen in every aspect of your life? Are people convinced by your behavior that you belong to Him?

Father, I want to be more like You; I long to have people see You in me as my flesh fades in the glory of Your presence that surrounds me and dwells within me. Lord, just as I take on some of the attributes and character of those with whom I am close, my desire is to be like You and even more so with each new passing day! Father, let Your character, Your integrity, Your love, Your compassion, Your mercy . . . let Your life be seen in me so that all will know that I am part of Your family as they see You in me! In Jesus' name, amen!

"And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." (Matthew 19:5-6)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 at Monday, February 11, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment