February 13 – Philippians 4:11  

Posted by Jan Ross

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." (Philippians 4:11)

One of the hardest things for many of us to deal with is adversity. For some reason, Christians have come to believe that their lives will run smoothly and trials and tribulations will not come nigh them if they live a good life. Nothing, however, could be farther from the truth.

Adversity is to become our friend, not our enemy. Adversity, trials, hardships, brokenness, etc., are tools God uses to reshape, remold, and fashion us after His image. This is why Paul said in Philippians 4:12-13, "I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Paul's sufferings and adversities were not unlike ours . . . he lived in the flesh and dealt with the flesh on a daily basis. Yet, regardless of the degree of suffering, Paul knew that his source of strength was in Christ.

Where is your source of strength today? Is it in Christ as Paul so beautifully explained, or are you having a difficult time maintaining stability in the midst of adversity? If you are having difficulties, just remember again Paul's words . . . "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Surely this includes trials, temptations, adversities, hardships, and brokenness. Recognize these things as God's work in your life, and don't despise what God is doing . . . allow Him to have His perfect will to perfect all things which concern you! Amen!

Father, teach me to submit to Your will for my life, to be content in whatever situation I find myself, and to grow through adversity. Lord, total submission means allowing You to have Your way in Every area of my life . . . help me to give myself totally to You for there is where I will find perfect peace even in the midst of trials and hardships. Thank You, Lord, for loving me enough to give me the strength and courage to endure adversity. Amen!

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at Tuesday, February 12, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment