February 7 – Matthew 5:11  

Posted by Jan Ross

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake." (Matthew 5:11)

Everyday people face ridicule for the sake of Christ. It comes in many forms but the source of the attack is the same in ALL cases. This has been the scheme of the enemy since the time of righteous Abel; it has been ongoing from the Old Testament times and it is continuing throughout the Church age. Persecution comes in many shapes, forms and fashions, but the result is the same. It will undoubtedly make you stronger! God allows us to go through persecution so we will seek Him more, so He can reveal Himself to us in greater measure, and so we will see a greater extent of His great mercies toward us.

There is an attitude in many Christian communities today that we as Christians are to live above ridicule, poverty, defamation, etc. The Word of God is full of examples of some of the strongest men and women of God enduring torment, ridicule, defamation, and affliction. But, then why are those who suffer in such manner "Blessed" according to our verse today?

If you encounter such opposition in your daily life, friend, count it a blessing that you are found worthy to suffer persecution. Stand firm, and take the example of our Lord as He stood in front of His accusers . . . be silent. Allow God to fight the battle for you as He says, "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord, I will repay." The battle is the Lord's, not ours! Endure persecution and be blessed, for this life shall quickly pass, a small price to pay for the glorious bliss that awaits us in eternity.

Father, help me endure whatever persecution comes my way, whether it be ridicule, name-calling, false accusations, etc. Lord, help me to excel in virtue regardless of what men say to me, about me, or do to me. Help me to remember that vengeance is Yours and the battle is Yours! Father, be glorified in my life, my attitudes, my actions, my words, my thoughts, and my deeds! Amen!

"For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake" (Philippians 1:29)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 7, 2008 at Thursday, February 07, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment