March 4 – Exodus 29:18  

Posted by Jan Ross

"And thou shalt burn the whole ram upon the altar: it is a burnt offering unto the LORD: it is a sweet savour, an offering made by fire unto the LORD." (Exodus 29:18)

As you read through Exodus and other parts of the Old Testament you become increasingly aware of how much sacrifice plays a part in man's relationship with God whether on a physical altar or through Jesus Christ.

The activity in the outer court was centered around sacrifice . . . an animal was killed, the blood used for holy purposes, and the flesh was put on the altar as a burnt offering to the Lord. And, God said it was a "sweet savour" unto Him . . . "an offering made by fire unto the Lord."

God entered into a better covenant with man through the sacrifice of the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ. In him the sacrifices of the Old Covenant are fulfilled and since He was offered up at Calvary, there is no longer any need for an ordinary ram upon the altar of sacrifice!

But consider today's verse once again . . . "And thou shalt burn the WHOLE ram upon the altar: it is a burnt offering unto the Lord: it is a sweet savour, an OFFERING MADE BY FIRE unto the Lord."

What was it that God considered to be a "sweet savour"? It's the consuming of flesh that pleases our God!

Our human nature must become that "offering made by fire unto the Lord". Every bit of our "flesh" must be laid upon that altar of sacrifice . . . we must decrease that He might increase! As we partake of Christ's sufferings, as we lay down our will, our dreams, our schemes, our desires . . . willingly and sacrificially allowing them to be consumed by God's holy fire, we will have become that sweet smelling savour unto Him!

Do you want your life to be fragrant? Lay down your will and allow it to be consumed on the altar. You will be transformed into His likeness as the image of His glory will be seen in you and your life a pleasing fragrant to our God!

Father, so often I look at my own heart and I see self-centeredness, I see pride, I see my will opposing Your will, I see my plans not necessarily submitted to Your plans, I see my devices reflecting a heart of flesh, a heart not yet totally consumed by Your holy fire! Father, help me each day to lay my life down . . . every bit of me, withholding nothing from Your consuming fire! Lord, consume me, purify me, and make me into Your image, that You might be glorified in me and my life become a sweet-smelling savour unto You! In Jesus' name, amen and amen!

"And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour." (Ephesians 5:2)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Monday, March 3, 2008 at Monday, March 03, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment