August 27 – Matthew 2:26  

Posted by Jan Ross

"Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also." (Matt 23:26)

Isn't it just like man to judge the outside without regard to the inside? Not only did Jesus know that, but advertisers today know it as well.  After all, when we go down the aisle at the store, what attracts us first?  Easy!  We quickly find ourselves drawn to the best label, the brightest colors, the most appealing packaging of the product.  If this weren't true, there would be little need for advertising designers.

Think about it . . . the packaging of any item immediately impresses us and molds our thinking so strongly that often times we take home the items that were presented with the most color and visual appeal only to find out that it wasn't at all what we had expected.  We are visually impressed with nearly everything.  Homes with the best landscaping appeal to us, stores with the best advertising draw us in, churches that look inviting from the outside stir our curiosity.

We are all too often concerned about how things look, so much so that we take more time cleaning and preparing that which is outside than we do that which is inside.  Consider how much time every day you spend showering, fixing your hair, selecting your clothes and coordinating your outfit.  The details of our daily outward cleansing are many, and we're diligent to attend to each one and, for the most part, we wouldn't dare venture outside without having completed our daily personal grooming routine.

But, the Lord Jesus, when speaking to the Pharisees made a statement that demands our attention:  "Cleanse first that which is within."  Immediately I'm reminded of the Psalmist as he wrote:  "God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; to see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary." (Psalm 63:1-2)  The Psalmist is desperate to cleanse the inside of his vessel first . . . not only first, but EARLY in the morning.  He longed for that encounter with the Father every day so much so that he likened his heart to a dry and thirsty land yearning for the heavenly outpouring.

As we learn to prioritize our time, using it wisely with more focus and attention given to our inner man than our outer shell, we will find that our outward appearance will begin to bear a glorious resemblance to our Father, an appearance that will be noticeable to all you interact with.

Take the Psalmist's advice . . . seek Him early --- EVERY DAY.  It's a worthwhile priority that has eternal consequences.

Father, I'm amazed.  I didn't realize I spent so much time concerning myself with my outward appearance in comparison to the amount of time I spend each day tending to my heart.  Oh Lord, forgive me . . . Father, I feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit right now as I consider my daily priorities.  Help me to heed Your voice.  Help me to respond to Your gentle nudge every morning as You invite me to take care of inner cleansing first as I spend time in Your presence.  Lord, teach me to always keep my priorities in order, regarding my time with You as most important in every day.  Lord, teach me, help me, and guide me as I rearrange my lifestyle so that the inside of my vessel will be first in the order of my daily routine.   Father, thank You for the reminder that without You, I can do nothing and that includes starting my day off right.  In Jesus' name, by His blood, for His glory I pray . . . amen and amen.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."  (Matthew 6:33)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at Tuesday, August 26, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment