October 1 – Luke 15:20  

Posted by Jan Ross

"And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him."   (Luke 15:20)

Every time I read this story it reduces me to tears! As a parent who has a child walking in rebellion, it gives me hope beyond measure. This son had squandered everything his father had given him; he spent all his inheritance and partied until there was no partying left. But the depth of the father's love was untouched by the son's sin. He welcomed him home with arms opened wide.

The sinful state into which this son fell can be identified with several manifestations: (1) Departure and/or distance from his father; (2) Uncontrolled spending and riotous living; (3) Constant "wanting"; (4) Perpetual dissatisfaction; (5) Could find no relief; (6) Worthy of the punishment of death; and (7) State of madness or frenzy. Unfortunately, every one of these "symptoms" can be found at one time or another in our lives when we are willfully disobedient.

But, here's the good news. Just as the father of the prodigal son immediately forgave him upon his confession of sin, our Father will forgive us and welcome us back into fellowship with Him. All it takes is a humble confession when you run back to Him. He's always there for you, He's waiting for you, and He won't turn His back on you!

Are you out of fellowship with Him? Run back NOW, humbly confess your sin and you'll find that He's standing there looking for you. And, when He sees you, He'll run to meet you and throw His arms around you and welcome you back home.

What a beautiful example of His undying love for us. How much more does our Father in heaven rejoice at our "homecoming." This is such an incredible portrait of our Father's total love toward us. All He wants from us is to humbly acknowledge our sin and come back home to Him.

This parable demonstrates how pleasing it is to the Father to have sinners repent and return to Him. But, it also must cause us to think about how it pleases Him to see His children recognize His unparalleled love!

Father, there are many times when I choose to disobey and thus hinder our relationship. There are times when I seek my own will and not Yours, when I put my desires above Yours. Lord, forgive me! I want You to reign in my life, to sit on the throne of my heart, to be a part of every fiber of my being! Forgive me, Lord, when I allow these things in my life and allow our relationship to be hindered. Father, I confess I love You, Lord! There is none like You in all the earth! Amen!

"And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry." (Luke 15:23-24)

________________
© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at Tuesday, September 30, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment